I've been Tagged!
Aha! At last a blog from yours truly & what better way to kick off a post in 2011 than with a tag & a fun one by the lovely beauty blogger Beeneelicious!
These are my "10 Beauty Confessions" to start off the New Year...gulp!
1. The first time I wore make up
I think it wasn't until my very late teens! Not until around 17 did I really wear any makeup (my mother didn't quite approve of it). It would be a smidgen of lipstick & awfully darkened brows.
Why, oh why did I think that exaggerating my eyebrows in jet black of all things would make my eyes (?!) stand out from behind my large, dark blue rimmed glasses (oh sadly yes). Ha ha...live & learn.
2. The very first make up item I bought/was given
Hmm, does those makeup sets as a kid count? or stuff I would raid from my mothers yummy smelling makeup draw to play with? (oh how I loved the smell of her Max Factor foundation compact & her Estee Lauder lippies). I guess the first item I actually bought was some Covergirl mascara, as it seemed to be the thing to do at uni in the '90's (!).
3. My first high end make up item
Would have been a Dior lipstick my mother-in-law (at the time, er yes been married before) gave me that she didn't like. I think someone gave it to her but it was too dark for her so she passed it to me (unused I would like to think!).
It is "Brun Swing/Jazzy Brown", um I have to admit I still have it! Oh my gosh yes, yes well past its use by date & I don't even use it but it is a sort of sentimental value & I love the tube! Ha ha plus I haven't had any Dior products since!
4. My first "going out" look (as a teen, so talking dinner, not clubbing)
Oooohhh, going out look...if you can't tell from my answer to question 1 it wasn't much!
I suppose there were a few "dolled" up versions to that where I would wear some hideous shade of dark red lipstick that my mother had (suited her wonderfully, but not me!).
Ok, I admit I remember this because I have a few photos of some dinner party/outings...but no way am I gonna post them...shudder central! Thank the heavens Facebook wasn't around then!!
5. My first make up faux pas
I think my eyebrow darkening disaster as part of question 1 again says everything! Then I moved on to plucking like mad in my early twenties & foregoing the e/b pencil & now I'm in my 30's & having to go back to filling them in! Now that's a faux pas ;-)
5. My first favourite beauty brands
Definitely L'Oreal for foundation (that is when I finally discovered it) & Revlon for lipstick.
6. As opposed to my favourite make up brands now
Covergirl, MAC, NYX, e.l.f & Bourgois (ok who am I kidding I could fill a page with faves & way to many body lotions to mention!)
7. My first perfume
Think it was a fragrance mini set by Cacheral & I loved Anai Anai as my favourite. In fact it still is my favourite scent! A light floral scent...
8. My first beauty obsession
Mascara - lots & lots of mascara...top & bottom lashes. Oh boy, they must have been clumpy! Thank goodness I discovered lash combs...although I still have my moments.
9. My first favourite hair & body items
Hair: Would have been some horrid wax like stuff to sculpt my hair when it was short back at varsity...ugh...even when I went an intense paprika red (say no more)
Body items: Have to make a note of the beauty brands for moisturisers that I loved back in the day - St Ives & Oil of Ulan (Olay).
10. My first nail polish
Gosh, I can't really remember...I never used to be bothered with my nails except for a bit of clear lacquer & kept them short & sweet. I have only really tried to grow & polish them in the last few years & now I am obsessed with any pretty colour!
Well that was it...gee, why did that leave me feeling a little queasy going down tragic makeup memory lane? :)
Now bini has tagged a lot of those who I cannot wait to see or read a response from (eg, danniibeauty, jadegrrrl, vulcanella etc etcetera!). But some others I would love to tag are:
pearlbeauty1020, lucky, nissyrae, brainsRbeauty & everyone reading this right now - yes that's YOU!
haha that was hillarious. would love to see a photo of you with red hair and BLACK eye brows LOL
ReplyDeleteI gotta admit I only discoverd lash combs this year - how is that?
cool that you still like the same perfume!
Is Olay called Oil of Ulan in NZ? Funny, in Austria the brand is called Oil of Olaz
Lol, gotta love this sometimes it tells me when I get a comment & sometimes now! apologies
ReplyDeleteHa, have some with the killer-scary eyebrows but not with the red hair. Actually weird that there are several years there where I haven't got a photo. Shame FB didn't exist then (or maybe that is a good thing!) ;-))
Yep, when I was younger used to be called Oil of Ulan & then they changed to Olay...think they didn't renew the name or something??