Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: i.d. BareMinerals Loose Foundation







I love trying different foundations & I especially love mineral foundations having enjoyed both the BellaPierre Cosmetics & Youngblood Mineral ranges for a while now. I have even played at making my own mineral cosmetics thanks to Soapconscious.

So when Recreate Yourself - www.ry.com.au - offered me an opportunity to review one of the i.d. bareMineral foundations by Bare Escentuals I must admit I was definitely keen to, as I had never tried any of the original foundations.

My only previous experience with the i.d. bareMinerals was with the Mineral Veil in feather light which is a nice pearlescent setting powder or can be used as an overall face colour. I had also used the PrimeTime range of primers - check out my Youtube overview here.

I have been using the colour "Medium Beige" which Elle from RY advised me was the most common shade and retails for $58.99AU on the RY site but at the moment is reduced to $52.50AU. I am pleased to report this was a pretty good match as I am a bit darker thanks to some safe summer sun (spf galore of course!).

i.d. bareMineral Loose Foundation (9g) Medium Beige from RY


I have tested the mineral foundation over the last 7.5 weeks & have thoroughly enjoyed using the product - it does help that I love applying mineral makeup in general & that I have a small army of brushes I love to use as you can see below!

A selection of brushes I like to apply mineral foundation as I prefer a
densely bristled yet soft feeling brush - dip the brush in the powder, tap the excess off on the lid & blend thoroughly around the face


The powder is a very finely ground, silky feeling texture & applies very easily to the skin. I found it adhered well to my skin on days I wore a primer, spf moisturiser & even my concealers /correctors. But it also stayed well on days I only wore a tinted spf cream & wanted a light coverage. Generally you can also use mineral foundations as your concealers & build up the coverage depending on how much you apply while blending thoroughly.

I also tried using the foundation as a tinted, light shimmer setting powder & it worked fairly well to set & help my different foundations mousse (Bourgois, Face of Australia & Australis), liquid (Face of Australia, BYS, Mirenesse & Almay) & powder foundations (Covergirl & Rimmel) stay on during the day.

For reference my skin is combination to oily with minimum sensitivity & the longest I wore the mineral foundation would have been 16 hours (without touch up) as I was out most of the day. I experienced only minimal wear around the chin & nose areas.

Ingredients:


Mica - crushed mineral mica, depending on the type, can give a pearlescent sheen to the product & can reflect light to reduce the appearance of fine lines while worn
Bismuth Oxychloride - medium coverage & adhesion with a translucent/very sheer coverage & can provide a shimmer to the product. However, sericite is becoming more popular as there is some debate that bismuth oxychloride can cause irritation & break outs on sensitive skin
Zinc Oxide - good to high matte coverage, good adhesion & slip (ability to stay on the skin & glide & apply while without tugging), & acts as a sunscreen
Titanium Oxide - similar properties as Zinc Oxide but can also be used in conjunction with Mica & the Red Oxides to make the tone/colour of the foundation
Iron Oxides - can be used as pigments to provide colour to the makeup (common ones are red, yellow & black)

For my full review watch my full review video now

2 comments: